Words, Weights, Whatever

Friday, June 25, 2004

Review: Elf Child by David M. Pierce

Little late...

Russ is one of the last elf child, a human gifted with the ability to change his shape. For decades he has used his abilities for one-night stands but feels a growing dissatisfaction with this arrangement. Then at a bar, he meets Eric....

The cover of David Pierce's novel is eye-catching. And, as a science-fiction/fantasy fan with a (hidden) romantic heart, the premise intriguing. HOwever, there's only so far one can go with the wrapping. The meat of any tale--whether it's in a book, a comic book/graphic novel, television show, or movie--is the story; unfortunately, Elf Child fell short.

Interesting characters or plot carry stories for me. While I'd prefer both on the same page, I'm willing to continue a book if I have a least one present. Elf Child book contained neither. The major characters are passive, two-dimensional, and interchangeable. I easily predicted (unfortunately) many of their actions. And some didn't make sense: if someone I loved was severely hurt, I would not be crying alone and bemoaning how terrible life especially if I have power as Russ and his mother truly did possess.

There were several subplots in addition to the main one. The introduction of a parallel line set in the past at first through me. Worse, I found it a distraction, not an asset to the main plot. While they all weaved together in the end, they were quite predictable. And is fag-bashing a standard in all gay romances or something?

Some of the brights spots of the story were details of Russ' paranormal abilities, the genealogy research, and the setting (I visit San Diego frequently). But I had to struggle to keep interested long enough to finish the book. Overall, I give Elf Child one and a half stars out of five.

3 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:32 AM  

  • Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

    Would you mind if I tested it out to see what I think? Brign it with you the next time you go to The Center.

    By Blogger Greg, at 12:29 PM  

  • Sure, Greg. Just send me reminders.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who links to me?