Words, Weights, Whatever

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Paralyzed

The following post is a rant session. Please leave if you dislike such items. I'll have more pleasant things to say in the future.


As many of you know, I earn cash on the side writing posts for an automotive blog. What most of you don't know is that I've been receiving criticism on my drafts. While the editors mean well, it's reach the point where I'm spending double the amount of time than usual to make the each post 'acceptably' perfect. Now the joy of writing each one is drained and replaced by near overwhelming fear: fear of failure but, more importantly, fear I am wasting too much time on a paltry amount of money.

Maybe I need a break. But the blog's short-handed at the moment and I feel I would be abandoning them. But I don't want to keep approaching each post as though I'll get criticized for it especially for the little amount I get paid for each one.

What to do? R. says I'm being overly sensitive. Maybe I am. I usually feel that way when I'm very tired. I've been staying up late to write posts. The fatigue may be catching up with me.

Rant over. At the moment.

4 Comments:

  • If it's causing that mych undue stress on you, perhaps it is time to rethink. Maybe you're tackling too much for too little consideration. Take a small vacation from it, to recharge and to re-assess.

    By Blogger Greg, at 8:28 AM  

  • I agree with Greg.

    By Blogger Leon, at 11:20 PM  

  • They sound like they're expecting too much for too little pay. Maybe you do need to rethink this ... and devote more time to this blog and your fiction! :)

    By Blogger SBB, at 9:27 AM  

  • The first rule of being a profesional writer: Don't take criticism personally. Easy to say and tough to do, I know, but there it is.

    I'm both a writer and an editor, so I see both ends. I've had my work brutalized on occasion. At other times, I've had to be brutal with others' work. It's about the job, not the people.

    That said, if you don't enjoy it, move on. Life's too short to spend time doing things that irritate you, if you don't have to do them. That's rule number two.

    By Blogger SwanShadow, at 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who links to me?