Words, Weights, Whatever

Friday, January 16, 2004

Building your own cell

Weights
I'm concerned. Two close relatives have recently revealed deteriorating health issues. While there's little chance of demise soon, both issues can be drastically remedied by diet and exercise. But they're family; I know how they think and keep my mouth shut.

Sounds irresponsible, right? Not if you've know them as long as I have. Both are women and have been dealing with weight issues their whole lives before I started my regimen a few years ago. They told me the best and worse types of diets and fitness resources. But I succeeded; they've gained more weight.

I've been overweight for over a decade. Runs in the family. My spouse, as a physician, encouraged me to lose the weight but I didn't listen. It would not be until three years ago when one of those two relatives lost a breast to cancer, then had a double-bypass after a heart-attack, that I made the decision to improve the length of my life and/or the quality of it. Within a year I lost thirty pounds of fat; six months later, I gained fifteen pounds of muscle.

I was ecstatic: I've never been in such condition in my life. And I shared my techniques with family and friends.

Then I heard their "silences" and shut up. I knew they would never change.

Physical fitness, like writing, requires a personal dedication. No one can truly pressure someone to write quality material. I learned this lesson well and, when my relatives finally said they were trying to lose weight, I positively supported home while secretly hoping they would follow through. They haven't yet.

Instead they continue to build what I call "the cell": the denials, the lies, and the blames of why they can't lose weight. No time to exercise. Will start the diet next week (never does). "Family before fat". Too tired. One actually has told me many times they're eating less while I see them getting bigger. Hormone problems. I'm a womam. It's society's fault.

Or your nagging me.

The cell continues to build while I stand outside, willing to encourage. It's at times like this I wished I believed in a higher power.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who links to me?