Words, Weights, Whatever

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Weekend Words

R. and I have something we call our "holidays." These
are events that are as meaningful to us as traditional
holidays are to the vast majority of Americans.

This weekend kicked off our "holidays" with the Los
Angeles Times' Festival of Books. We arrived Saturday
morning around 10AM and, after quickly gobbling down
an overpriced and undertasted meal, spent the next few
hours in lines to sign our paltry collection of first
editions. Mary Higgins Clark. M.T. Anderson. Lawrence
Wright. Time passed quickly. Thankfully, the weather
was (relatively) cool though the sun was definitely
out.

We toured the fair around 4Pm before heading into
Westwood for an extremely filling meal at our favorite
Italian restaurant.

Sunday was a shorter version of Saturday. Around 2PM
we were, finally, released from our signing
obligation. We checked out the booths and came away
with booty. Unfortunately for the sellers (but
fortunate for our pocketbooks), we found few items,
books or otherwise, worth of note. My biggest haul
were three cool T-shirts.

And speaking of T-shirts: My T, "What Happens In The
Library Stays In The Library" got plenty of remarks,
with one guy actually taking a picture of me in it! R.
suggests I get paid by Overdue Media
http://www.overduemedia.com/ for marketing their
products.

After a couple of hours, we headed into WeHo, a first
for months. I don't know about you, but the folks
there look like clones, i.e., all rail thin, hair
coiffed, and clothing tight-fitting. Yet as I told my
buddy C.S. later, they all had the look of...longing?
Jealousy? Brain-dead? I can understand that face on
the twinks but not on the older gents. Folks, there
are other places to make friends besides the bar, you
know.

Next up: Anime Expo!

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around

http://mail.yahoo.com

1 Comments:

  • I left the Festival with only one book purchase, unlike last year when I walked away with about 5 books. Maybe next year....

    By Blogger Greg, at 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who links to me?