Words, Weights, Whatever

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Outside Looking In

Last night I joined friends C., G, and R. (not The Spouse) at a local restaurant.

A little background here. C. and G. have been meeting almost regularly once a week at said restaurant. Both used to do volunteer duty at this center. We'd meet at the center, then move over to the restaurant where we'd chat over the latest dramas, movies, and books. At one point, we actually formed an impromptu reading group, selecting a book a month to read and discuss the next month. That has fallen by the wayside as new interests have taken their place.

R.'s is G.'s old roommate and currently lives in his old digs after G. moved out. All three maintain contact with each other, especially C. and G., who used to regularly attend the Happiest Place on Earth for Years.

That bond really hit me last night at the restaurant. There they chatted about people and events I had never heard of or attended. Later, G. teased R. about his alleycat ways with a casualness that was almost shocking (especially from G., whom I remember was the most uptight of the three. People change.) I was never excluded from the conversation, but I definitely felt like a fourth wheel.

It's my own fault, really. C. and G. have been more than generous in inviting me and The Spouse to many of their events and outings. We share plenty of the same interests to do so. But life, in the form of vacations, fatigue, other events, or just play bad timing, have made such rendezvous few and far between. Finally, The Spouse and I are quite insular with our free time to the point even our families barely see us.

Is it time to change the dynamics of my relationship with C., G., and R.?
--
Carpe Diem (seize the day)

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • You are by no means a 4th wheel, but I understand where you're coming from, especially when the three of your start talking about cars. I know very little about the new trends, the designs, etc. and feel a bit awkward during those portions of the conversation.

    By Blogger Greg, at 10:29 AM  

  • like all things that are alive, the relationship grows and ebbs, they change and they evolve. but I'd just go with the flow, and enjoy what you have... unless you're not enjoying it at all.

    By Blogger Joe, at 9:06 PM  

  • greg: hmmm. good point.

    joe: no, i enjoy them. i think this feeling is either seasonal or an abberation.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who links to me?