Words, Weights, Whatever

Friday, September 17, 2004

Contractors, dilemmas, and euphoria

Wednesday

Update Way and Forge.

Quite a busy day.

My friend JSE called and we spoke most of the morning. We commiserated about his current dating status and reminisced about the past (pre-OC). (One day I should post about that sordid time.)

I then casually mentioned about looking for a house-sitter when remodeling begins at our house. Surprise! JSE had done a lot of handiwork on his house during his first marriage and is actually quite a handyman. Would be willing to keep an eye on our residence if we need someone. (He's self-employed.) All he would need is DSL access which we have plenty. R. was surprised and pleased, too, when we talked later. Now we have at least one optimal person to housesite.

I contacted the contractors later that morning. Frank (who'll be redoing our kitchen and other rooms) gave me an eye-opening summary of his work. We're now looking at starting around October for a good month and a half (barring no probs.) Got some estimates from him and the other contractors as well.

Sigh. I see our funds rapidly diminishing.

I made the hardest decision after hanging up the phone. I notified one of my agencies and told them I had decided to take the assignment. I then called another one and cancelled an interview for another position. The die is cast, as the cliche goes. I hope I hadn't made the wrong choice.

The rest of the day was fairly mundane. I picked up my comic books down in Irvine. Got a haircut while there.

R. came home early (due to being a half-day) while I was in Irvine and we ate at one of our favorite restaurants. There we discussed our days. We finished the latest Naruto DVDs. Waah!


Thursday

R. will be on-call today through Sunday. After leaving for work, I lounged around the house a bit, returned calls, then headed out to Northridge early to avoid traffic. Ate at Islands (see Forge)I originally intended to settle down at a nearby Starbucks and write. Instead, I walked around the nearby Northridge mall. While there I bought coffee and promptly spilled it on my nice dress shirt. Fortunately the material resisted it. Whew!

Dinner with R.'s family went fine. They're redoing their house as well though not as extensive as we are. Kids didn't pay as much attention to me as they used to. I actually had a chance to talk to the adults.

When I got home, I called my friend KKS and spent the rest of the evening chatting. Overall, a day.


Countdown: nine days before blog change....

2 Comments:

  • What? Changing the blog again? I just got used it this way ... :(

    Home improvement. Yikes. Sometimes I think it would be easier to burn a house down and start over! Good luck!

    By Blogger SBB, at 8:45 AM  

  • Re: change.
    Change is the only constant in the world ;-)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who links to me?