Words, Weights, Whatever

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

***Joel A-Z (B)***

B is for balance.

Months ago my sister was complaining how she constantly felt torn in her life. Does she spend a few hours to clean the house or take a nap? Why does she waste time listening to people who complain about how unfulfilling their lives feel when she needs (and, sometimes wants) to work out.

I know the feeling. I constantly feel torn trying to decide what I want to do versus what I have to do. Do I spend the evening picking up the clutter around the house or do I hit the gym to get my weight under control? Do I participate in NaNoWriMo next month or devote the time researching decorating ideas? And so on. And these are "immediate concerns": I worry about the desire to rest versus getting a second job so I can purchase that new car/pay down debt/buy new clothes or more books, etc.

Sometimes I admire youth's single-mindedness or folks who can just absolutely focus. I've tried a couple of times and become even more frustrated as people--who were used to me running around taking care of their requests--think I'm now being selfish.

The "B for Balance" is to figure out a way where I feel I'm accomplishing most of my goals without throwing everything out of kilter. Already I note I'm responding to this imbalance by throwing up my hands and ignoring them.

Sigh.

1 Comments:

  • balance is hard, because I think to be the best at something, you have to focus on that one thing. balance is never about being the best, but about not letting the world's ambitions consume you. so you either do only one thing the best, or do everything trying to be the best.

    By Blogger Joe, at 8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who links to me?