Words, Weights, Whatever

Friday, September 22, 2006

When on the right track

I meet a lot of interesting people here at the

coffeeshop. One person is J. Though I've seen him here
for years, we've only started chatting beyond saying
"hi" over the last several months.

We share a lot in common. We have interest in
intellectual dialogue: human will, choice, etc. We
share a more humanistic view, being fascinated in
different ethnicities, cultures, and sub-groups.
Unlike me, though, he's more well traveled, having
lived in Japan for years and possessing a more
international outlook that I, who's lived my most of
my life in the U.S., shall never possess.

Passion is another characteristic we both share. J.'s
been at a crossroad recently, wondering where he
should go in his career. We discussed it several
times; his situation reminded me of my own recent
decision regarding that medical training position
versus blogging in the automotive industry.

Well, he recently made a decision.

J. decided to pursue a new career. After he made his
decision, he e-mailed all his friends and companions.
I saw one, C., yesterday, at the coffeeshop. She
excitedly relayed the news to me. Thus, when J. and I
saw each other tonight, I surprised him that I knew
his news.

We discussed his reasons at length. One thing J.
elaborated is how he finally felt he was on the "right
track" in his life, that his career choice matched his
personality. He had difficulty describing the
sensation, but his exuberance was splayed all over his
face. I know the feeling. I've felt the same way when
I accepted my current job, envy of my sister
non-withstanding (see earlier post). The best word I
can think of is that I--and J.--feel "solid" in our
choices. Unlike a ship that's meadering in a stormy
ocean, we feel it's currently smooth sailing. When J.,
though, wondered when we'd sink, I just shrugged and
said that's for another day.

"Carpe Diem"
(Seize the Day),

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

2 Comments:

  • That's a difficult thing for many people to do...make a choice that suits not only your life, your personality, but also fits into your passion. I admire that both of you have been able to do that and have not regretted it. Kudos to you...and to him.

    Cheers, Christian
    http://mentaldeviant.blogspot.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:41 AM  

  • christian,

    thanks!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who links to me?