Words, Weights, Whatever

Monday, September 18, 2006

Adventurers in rpg misunderstanding

Talk about hilarious. While surfing a role-playing game (rpg) forum, I came across a post of a gamemaster (GM) who was having a problem with one of his players. Seems said player constantly contacted him about the next game and the GM wanted advice on how to make the guy stop.

Finding the post amusing, I sent a copy to my GM with the addition (in so many words), "Alright already about the next game. I'll stop contacting you. I just wish you had spoken earlier w/o posting for everyone to see." I knew it was my not GM since the original poster was out of state. I added a "smiley" symbol to notify him I was kidding.

Oops.

I received a message from my GM the next day. He wanted me to call and discuss the matter, profusely apologizing that he had somehow offended me. I realized he had not fully read the message or the link and quickly called him. After an exchange of greetings, I told him the message had been a joke. After several exchanges, we finally clarified that he had had (in his words) a "blond moment" and, as I suspected, not read the message or link or even misinterpreted the smile symbol.

No more jokes on-line.

--
Carpe Diem (seize the day)

4 Comments:

  • Hmmm....interesting picture of a man about to get probed to go along with your post.....hmmmm......

    By Blogger Greg, at 8:31 AM  

  • Communication is odd enough when two sober and sane people talk face to face. The online jokes can backfire.

    Episodes like this are reminders that sometimes what we write to others doesn't get digested properly if at all.

    By Blogger Leon, at 12:28 AM  

  • Greg,

    Representing getting shafted :(

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:02 PM  

  • leon,

    tell me about it! fortunately it was easily resolved.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who links to me?