Words, Weights, Whatever

Sunday, January 25, 2004

Giving up on publishing

Words
If you haven't noticed, I have not posted anything substantial on my writing progress.

That's because there hasn't been any.

I could give the standard list to why I haven't continued Pyrrhic Price. But that sounds like whining--I don't like to whine--and this is a non-whining zone (and I don't drink, either). But I have been giving some thought as to why I had poured so much time and resources into this...art.

I recently read about an author's view on writing. Unfortunately, I don't remember who and where. But I do remember what the author said. To paraphrase: writing's easy until you get hung up on getting published.

I remember my first writing efforts, both in school. In each instance, I had to write a short story. I wrote: I didn't worry about writer's block, too many ideas, query letters, number of drafts, wordcount, etc. I just wrote. Each time the instructors asked me to consider submitting my works for publication. I never did; writing as a profession never seriously crossed my mind.

I have the talent; I've (mostly) never doubted that. I'm developing the skill. Writing--as a technical writer and a novelist--on a near-daily basis definitely keep the skills sharp. Being married to an English major helps, too. And I've got ideas galore. So what's holding me back?

Drive. That's what I'm lacking. My basic needs have been covered. I'm happily married; family's (overall) in good health; I'm in good health; we have a decent amount of money to spend with; house over my head; friends; and I live in a wonderful country. Overall, I'm content with my world.

to be continued....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who links to me?