Words, Weights, Whatever

Saturday, July 17, 2004

Warped wood Weekend

R. and I woke late Saturday morning. As previously stated, my family would not be visiting us but we'd have to go see them at my sister's place later in the evening.

R.'s cold had gotten worse during the night. We relaxed, reading and surfing the Internet. Finally, our growling stomachs prompted us to get a bite to eat and we had Thai food around 2 PM. As usually, we had a feast.

Unfortunately, the food came back and bit R who spent a couple of hours running to the bathroom. No, it's not food poisoning but a too much fat-rich foods. (I'm not affected since I will eat burgers on occasion.) I fell into a food-induced stupor.

I checked the traffic report on on the Sigalert website before heading out to visit the family. (R. would obviously stay home.) I'm glad I did. There was a major accident blocking on my regular route. I discussed with R. and my sister on the best drive. There were two other longer routes and another check on the Sigalert showed they were clear.

I met my family a little over 5 PM. My parents, sister and her baby, and my youngest sister and her beau met me. The latter was chatting amiably with my father over a car issue. I chatted with my sibs and mom and cooed at the baby who was recovering from a cold. We all went to dinner once my dad and my sister's boyfriend returned.

Dinner was a fun affair at a local Japanese restaurant. While eating, I received a call from R.



"What's going on?" I asked.
"Are you sure you want to know now or later?" R. replied.
My eyes narrowed. "Now, of course."
"Well, there's water under the kitchen floor."
"What?"




R. had discovered water leaking out between the slabs of wood. And the wood was warping. I barked instructions to call the plumber and have them come out tonight if possible. I then returned to dinner.
 

I spent a couple more hours with my family. Apparently it was also my sister's beau's birthday. We celebrated and spent some time with my mom as she fed my sister's baby. I bade goodbye and returned home.
 
The plumber's huge truck was blocking the driveway when I arrived. The plumber himself was on the lawn checking the meters. I parked nearby and went inside.

After finishing his investigation, the plumber explained there was a break in the drain piping underneath the kitchen. It must have been building for some time but only flooded into the floor recently since we only noticed it today. To fix the problem, he and a crew would have to break into the concrete foundation, find where the break was, and repair it. We asked how soon could he start. Unfortunately, he couldn't start until Monday and the repairs would take around two days. When he saw how upset we were, he tried to call others to assist him but no one answered. He promised if he could reach someone willing to work that he'd return Sunday. He would also try to finish the job in one day if possible.
 
R. and I discussed the issue. We could try another service but we'd had good luck with George Brazil in the past and would rather not start with another service. We thanked the plumber for his work and made the appointment for Monday morn.
 
Whew!


1 Comments:

  • Geez! You two just haven'thad any luck with water lately!! Thank goodness this latest problem was found early before it blossomed into an even bigger situation.

    By Blogger Greg, at 9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who links to me?