Words, Weights, Whatever

Sunday, September 19, 2004

Commitment



Image found on the Internet and all rights belong to the owner.


Updated Forge and Way.

Much of Friday was spent on finances. I drove down to the agency and submitted the paperwork for automatic deposit of future paychecks. Before heading home, I stopped by the bank to get some information on our mortgage and equity line-of-credit (LOC). I contacted the main office later to get certain accounts visible on-line as well.

Saturday I spent most of the day with my family. I drove up to the Inland Empire early morning and arrived at the church a good forty minutes early. I chatted with The Spouse until everyone began to arrive.

As far as I could tell, my nephew's baptism went well. A2 barely made a noise despite teething and suffering a cold. He didn't cry out even when, after falling asleep in the warm church interior, the priest poured water on his head.

And he continued to be quiet at the reception afterwards. Only later, at my sister and brother-in-law's residence, did he cry out (screamed is the more accurate word) and that was because he was hungry.

I spent a lot of time with my nephew A1 chatting about--of course--cars and motorcycles.

R. was on-call and couldn't attend.

I finally returned home around 1700 and listlessly watched television and napped the rest of the evening.


Image found on the Internet and rights belong to its owner.

NOTE: You may stop reading. The following are my upcoming goals and barely relevant to the above post.

You know the old saying about being at a crossroads in life? I'm at one of those. Again.

Much of it is of my own making. Take working, for example, Unlike most folks who consider their jobs as a constant in their lives, I don't allow myself that luxury as a temp. First I chose if I'm going to take an assignment or place myself on inactive status. If I chose the former, I start looking for an assignment. The year so far has proven to be fruitful and I actually had a choice of several decent paying assignments.

So the first major crossroad is returning to work again. I start the new assignment on Monday and, as usual, am a bit nervous.

Another crossroad is our house. Long-time readers will note about the dishwasher imbroglio back in July and our efforts to not only repair the damage but use the incident as an opportunity to upgrade our house. R. and I had planned to do so sometime in the future but now we're serious. We've been meeting with contractors, checking out home improvement stores, and I've had trouble sleeping at the amount of time everything is going to take even before construction begins (i.e., lining up the contractors, clearing out the house, etc.) Everyone I've spoken with has stated what a nightmare remodeling is which doesn't help but we've committed ourselves to this time-consuming and expensive (think six figures) road.

The other crossroads are of a more personal nature. The first is the major decision to become more active physically. Clothing I had purchased years ago are beginning to tighten in the wrong places. Several folks have remarked that I looked like I was losing weight which actually translates to the loss of my musculature. And, finally, last year's physical confirmed an increase in (bad) cholesterol levels and other biological sigs which is not good given my family history (i.e., heart attacks, diabetes, etc.)

See Forging the Physique.

I've recommitted myself to my writing and my dream to become a full-time published writer. I've been reading much of late, both good (East of Eden) and "how'd this ever get published?? (Huddle)." Attending author signing at bookstores has added fuel to the fire.

See Way of the Writer.

And then there's blogging. I'm currently posting something a least in one of my blogs on a daily basis for the last few weeks. My skills are getting sharpened by such daily writing and my Muse is active as I think of things to write.

But, as the cliches' go: the only constant is change and nothing last forever.

I've been reading a lot of posts recently that many bloggers are considering dropping their blogs (see myRemixWeb; Tuna Girl; and Rcktman). This is not the first time I've read such posts and almost ignored the topic after leaving my comments. However, something struck a cord and I'm beginning to wonder about my own blogs and my continuation with Tribe.net.

I originally started a blog to jot down my daily activities. I noted a long time ago I didn't have the best memory, forgetting what I did the prior day. I was especially bad about remembering the weekends. I also wanted to jot down my progress in my writing and workout efforts. Thus, the original impetus for Words and Weights (the original name.)

My blog has changed since then, the biggestchanges to be splitting into three blogs and posting (near) on a daily basis.

It's at this point I'm at my last major crossroad. With time becoming premium again, I wonder if I want to continue to post daily. Shall I follow most of my fellow bloggers and post only on the weekdays? On a whim? And if I continue, what shall be the contents? Specifically, I'm debating if I want to continue Beyond the Blog or even images.

I'm still deciding where to go. And there is a deadline (see below).


Countdown: seven days before blog change....

9 Comments:

  • The name of this blog says it all. It covers the three things that you like to blog about. If time is a problem then you have to cut back.

    Re: "a full-time published writer." What do you do here? You write. You have published here. Your words are online and you can be googled. If you are blogging daily...

    Perhaps you mean "a publicly recognized writer who gets paid to write."

    By Blogger Leon, at 12:26 AM  

  • No one said that you must post every day. If you're feeling constrained for time, then post when you feel like it, when you feel you have something that needs to be said. I used to post once or twice a day, but have since decided that not everything I do needs to be set down in computer format. Give yourself some room to breathe, and you'll be fine.

    By Blogger Greg, at 7:02 AM  

  • Well, Joel, I can't help you with the other things other than to wish you good luck and Godspeed, but on the blog, I've had the same thoughts. It's hard to post daily. I do and have chosen to post words and one original image each day. It's just a commitment to myself. But why do it? For me, it's an exercise in discipline. You know that I have many interests, a jack-of-all-trades. I hop around from one to another, never achieving excellence in any of them. It's interesting, but I wanted something more, something deeper. So I chose my writing. The blog is an outward sign of my inward commitment. Do I expect to be interesting every day? No, but I doubt that people meeting me would find me interesting all the time. I get bored with me sometimes. I guess what I'm saying is that if the blog helps you write, helps you connect with creativity and increases your writing muscles, then it's a good thing. If it's hindering, let it go ... but I'll miss ya. :(

    A sidenote: TV and surfing the web seem to be major time wasters for me. I work on controlling both of them.

    By Blogger SBB, at 7:31 AM  

  • Good points from Greg and Tech. Since I was so serious in my previous comment I will lighten up here and...

    ...advise you to use this blog as a Joel story/infomercial. Example: Our intrepid hero (also named Joel) must battle some creature from outer space. Each episode he must prepare his body(add a bit of exercise info ala' forge) and then read odd books and blogs to prepare his mind(way). Then it's off to the scrap that ends in a cliffhanger that will be resolved next week.
    Voila, three ideas crammed into one post! ;)

    By Blogger Leon, at 9:58 AM  

  • Some wise advice I received when I was feeling a bit "uncentered" last week....deep breaths...

    Do what you feel you need to do. If that means taking a "sabbatical", then so be it. But I would hope that you wouldn't leave it for good...after all, there are too many of us out here that would miss you.

    By Blogger Pua; Bakin' and Tendin' Bar, at 11:09 AM  

  • You know...I've often thought that you think too much. :-)

    I've also often thought that there is no real reason for you to have three blogs. One of the great things about reading blogs is getting the whole picture of a person. You need to go with the flow. Be loose like a goose. Don't constrain yourself so much. Just write! :-)

    By Blogger Tuna Girl, at 5:21 PM  

  • HELLO??!! Is this the person who told me not to stop writing and continue with my blogging. I THINK NOT!

    By Blogger GrooveTheory, at 5:27 PM  

  • Re: blogging.
    Wow! Lots of comments.
    Hmmm. I think I wrote the post wrong. I never specifically stated I was discontinuing to blog but just debating how I blog. Sorry about the confusion.

    But y'all gave me food for thought for my decision for the 26th. Thanks!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:28 PM  

  • By Blogger XiL3Nt_LipX, at 11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who links to me?