Words, Weights, Whatever

Thursday, October 20, 2005

***Joel A-Z (D)***

D is for dance.

I love to dance. I love the sensation of music and how my body and emotions react to a good, hard beat. It affects my choice of workout activities and even instructors.

And people respond. Back in junior high I found myself popular with the grrrls at any of the dances. They'd encircle me as I gyrated, leaped, and shuffled to the latest by Duran Duran (Wild Boys) or Michael Jackson (pre-molestation accusations). I didn't care; I just wanted to move.

I found myself dancing less from high school on. I became more self-conscious like my male peers. Only with my female companions did I venture onto the gym floor. It's no wonder I
preferred their company. (This changed later as I played role-playing games.)

I attended some clubs in college and dances afterwards but much of my enjoyment finds release when working out. No wonder I'm nearly fanatical about my workout times.

While I like to dance, I'm actually quite picky about my music. I prefer modern dance songs and--gasp!--disco. I don't dance to rap (jumping up and down is not dancing in my opinion) and rarely country even though I know a few moves. I love remixes of my favorite songs: Control, Vogue, etc. Thus, I partially keep abreast of current music just to see what DJ's have done to my favorite "oldies but goodies".

Look around everywhere you turn is heartache
It's everywhere that you go (look around)
You try everything you can to escape
The pain of life that you know (life that you know)
When all else fails and you long to be
Something better than you are todayI know a place where you can get away
It's called a dance floor, and here's what it's for, so

Come on, vogue
Let your body move to the music (move to the music)
Hey, hey, hey
Come on, vogue
Let your body go with the flow (go with the flow)
You know you can do it*



*Written by Madonna and Shep Pettibone. All rights belong to them.


3 Comments:

  • I agree with you. I love to dance and have quite a few dance remix CDs. And, yes, even some disco tunes can get my toes a-tappin'.

    By Blogger Greg, at 9:56 AM  

  • I knew my tastes in music weren't keeping up to 'the jones' when I found it hard to dance to the tunes in the nineties.

    Whatever they say about disco. You could shake yer groove thang!

    By Blogger Leon, at 9:12 PM  

  • I can't dance very well at all. I think it's the rhythm thing for me. I haven't any. but maybe you can teach me! :)

    By Blogger Joe, at 8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who links to me?