Words, Weights, Whatever

Friday, November 19, 2004

***A touch of jealousy and pushups***

As I write this post, I so want to drop my blog from the virtual world that is the Internet.

I just finished making my rounds of the blogs I regularly follow (see right). This includes making comments on their posts. As I do so, I note the number of comments they had already received before my own.

I've noticed for quite some time now that many--if not most--of them have been slowly but steadily increasing over the past few weeks. Comments on my own, though, have fallen if not downright vanished. Suddenly thoughts such as what's wrong with my posts? and what's that m#$^%#^$(*@!! have that I don't have? welled up in my heart. Especially disconcerting were the comments over at some blogs whom I know started way later than Words, Weights, Whatever.

Then the rational side of me popped up and smacked my growing jealousy out the door and into the lavoratory that is my primal brain. It reminded me why I started blogging in the first place. It admonished me in losing my purpose and my focus and had me doing one-legged pushups pyramid-style (i.e., ten pushups, pause, nine pushups, pause, eight....)

Ugh.

Yes, my rational side looks like a typical sensei but muscled like Jean-Claude Van Damme.

And on that note, I feel so much better.



Image found on the Internet and all rights belong to its owner.

8 Comments:

  • Re: pikachu.
    Hmmm. Time to put something up that's more sexy?

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:05 AM  

  • I like the yellow rodent! :)

    By Blogger SBB, at 3:50 PM  

  • write for yourself, not just for an audience. of course i've been remiss with my blog travels lately... too much work, and i just got a new toy to play with :) so here's an extra extra happy comment for you! happy weekend!

    By Blogger Joe, at 4:16 PM  

  • Like Joe said, write for yourself. The number of commenters on my blog is in constant flux, and you have to remember that no everyone who reads your blog commetns. You may have more readers than you realize.

    By Blogger Greg, at 7:46 AM  

  • I'm sowwy if I haven't been commenting!

    By Blogger standaman, at 5:02 PM  

  • I'm a lurker by nature, I guess. I'll usually comment when I have something worthwhile to offer, but I'm not much for typing just to hear the sound of my fingers tapping keys. But now that I know it's important to you, I'll be more conscientious about letting you know when I've been here!

    By Blogger SwanShadow, at 6:47 PM  

  • We're all busy and assume your brain is nanowrimified. Plus we want you to finish das book. It's funny in a way because the 'I don't have enough comments' self talk is similar to what many new bloggers go through. ie -Why am I not being read/linked to. The difference is that you recognize the reality and roll with it. We recognize that sometimes our blogfriends need support and send in the calvary.

    Quite possibly you are so busy that the little perks like being read mean more. FYI my average comment count
    last week was two or three. However, our team conversations are spread between three or four blogs, email, and flickr forums. I have more 'comments' than I can handle.

    Think about how many internet based conversations (tribe,email,chat,comments)you have had in the last ten days. Does it all feel vacant?

    Sorry to lecture Joel, but I just included you as an example for new bloggers (aint I nice?).

    By Blogger Leon, at 8:30 PM  

  • My bad! I'm not a very concientious poster.

    On an unrelated note, I didn't know that Jean-Claude and I had the same birthday!

    TK

    By Blogger TK, at 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who links to me?