Words, Weights, Whatever

Monday, May 02, 2005

***Weekend Words****

Words
Significant progress for the first time in weeks. I spent much of Sunday afternoon and evening working on a new project, codename: PD.

PD is unlike any of my prior projects, which are currently fantasies. (I'm currently working on at least three: PP, DT, and an unnamed third.) This new one is a mainstream novel chronicling the growing attraction of two former college friends. Set in modern San Diego, I'm already pulling my experiences as a past president of Asian groups; The Spouse's medical knowledge; and my gaming days in the role-playing game community. The mix should be different than anything I've read in this category. (I hope.)

Weights
Hit the gym Saturday morning for the first time in months. Reminder to self: have a cup of coffee before attending high energy/dancey step classes. Ugh. I still haven't fully recovered.

Whatever
The Spouse had a brutal on-call schedule stretching from Thursday night until tonight. We won't see each other until Tuesday night due to last night's rush of sickies in the ER.

I finished the book, Sellevision, on Thursday night. Friday I just chilled.

Saturday morn I hit the gym, then returned home and caught up on my comic books. I joined R. that afternoon at the Renaissance faire. The weather over Irwindale was perfect: blue skies and cooling (but not too cool) breezes. And definitely more folks than our last visit a couple of weeks ago.

I watched a lot of the costumed folks as R. shopped the numerous booths. Then, at one of our regular stops, I spotted a diamond-encrusted, gorgeous puzzle ring. After trying it on and other rings, I said I'd purchase the expensive item. R. and the proprietor haggled briefly on the price while I mentally prepared for the bad news. Nope; the price was acceptable and I walked away wearing my babble, which is the first for me since visiting the fair regularly.

I joined friends later that evening to attend a b-day party. (R. couldn't make it due to being on-call.) What an amazing time. Virtually all of us hadn't seen each other for over five years since I stepped down as leader to an Asian group (which we first met.) I remarked with several folks how little we'd changed outwardly. I took lots of pics to show R. later. I would not get home until after midnight.

Sunday, after lunch, I drove down to a local JC to check out the Car Faire. Big mistake. There was a fully loaded LS being offered. Sigh. First the Jaguar, now this. I also checked out the monthly antique mart that day as well. Like last month, though, I arrived too late as the vendors prepared to close at 1400.

I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening at one of my old haunts, a coffeeshop. I had been planning to write while R. was gone but, as usually, kept getting distracted. It took a while to start working on PD (see above) but finally started around 1600. And kept writing. And more writing. Ideas, characters, and words flowed for some time. Between these sessions I'd call R. to see how it was going. Then I'd return to the writing. I would not get home until after 2200.

What a weekend.

2 Comments:

  • The new writing project sounds majjor cool! Good luck!

    By Blogger SBB, at 7:19 AM  

  • This new project looks interesting. Maybe it will get you published and then you can head into fantasy. Other writers have written 'what the market wanted' before writing what they wanted.

    By Blogger Leon, at 8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who links to me?