Words, Weights, Whatever

Monday, March 14, 2005

***Weekend words***

Saturday I met with two contractors and a repairman. I discussed with the first two about where we were going with the next phase of the remodeling. We systematically went over all three bathrooms, brainstorming ideas for the wainscotting and tiles. Tomorrow, for example, the counter-top contractor will be putting on the travetine countertops in the washroom.

Later that afternoon the repairman arrived. R. had heard a low buzzing from our new oven/microwave. The repairman confirmed suspicions: the appliance shouldn't be making that noise. He'll be ordering a new part to see if it's the cause but reassured us there is no hazard.

After everyone was gone, I rushed to the post office to not only pick up a package but to mail our corporate taxes. Unlike personal taxes, all corporate ones are due by March 15th. And, of course, there was a line at the post office. I called my family to assure them I would make it to the party.

I finally dashed out of the post office around noon. From there, I joined my family up in the Inland Empire not only to celebrate my mom's birthday but my nephew's first birthday as well. Both had been born the same day though--obviously--decades apart.

It was relatively a sedate party: my sister and brother-n-law were stressed; my other nephew chatted my ear off; and I barely spoke with my parents. Mom looks good: the weight loss has transformed her. And my now one-year old nephew was considerably active now that he was walking. Apparently he's developing physically quite fast though considered on the smaller size for his age. My sister and brother-n-law had hoped my tall genes would have passed into him but, at least at this age, it's not apparent. (Apparently I hinted my future height as a baby.) Doesn't matter: he's definitely very healthy as he smeared cake all over his cute face.

I had to leave the party early to make another appointment back in Orange County. This time I looked over new bathroom fixtures which R. had selected. After I was done, I dined at a local restaurant before spending the rest of the evening napping and watching anime.

Sunday R. and I had a late breakfast/early lunch down at the Spectrum. To work off the meal, we checked out the Carfaire over in Irvine. We spent the afternoon doing some housework in preparation for the contractors this week. Between tasks, I called my parents to see if they had arrived safely back home in the next state. And received a shock. Our long-distance service had been disconnected. Futilely I tried to reach a representative but the telephone company was closed. Steaming, we watched anime.

This morning I finally got in touch with the representative. They were quite apologetic when I showed them I had made the necessary payments last month. They promised to reactivate our service and process the automatic payment I had requested back in January. Sigh. And to think I used to work for this company.

I hope there are no more unpleasant surprises for the rest of the week.


  • I've always found phone companies hard to deal with. I should really switch my long distance plan to something cheaper, but I dread talking to them!

    By Blogger TECH, at 7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?