Words, Weights, Whatever

Friday, July 29, 2005

***Movin' on***

Today was the last day at work.

Normally I'm suppose to be at work at 0700. I finally rolled in after 0800. Many of my co-workers had the same idea because none of them were in yet.

I thought it would be a casual morning. I would get my coffee and breakfast bagel and read job opps I had printed out a few days ago. Wrong. There was a message from HR who asked if I could assist them. I did, of course. Ultimately I'm a professional and, more importantly, a nice guy. HR was just doing its job. Besides, they were genuinely upset with this turn of events as well.

When I finished the work, I discovered there had been a feast waiting in the cafeteria. Bagels, muffins, fruits, quiches, and other delectables had been laid out that morn. Unfortunately, I had not known and was too full from my breakfast bagel to eat more than two full platefulls of the last meal.

Comraderie was the activity for the morning. As the HR Director later commented, we we constantly laughing and joking as our last hours rapidly approached. What else could there be? Most of us had determined our plans or--for a few lucky folks--had already found work. And we knew the layoff had not been caused by us or even our management.

Thus with this attitude did we enter the meeting room around 1000 for our debriefing. The GM gave his words (including the fact he would be leaving shortly as well as he finished the transition) and HR had us complete forms and give our final checks. And gifts such as portfolio binders, leather computer bags and scrubs(!) were offered as well.

I quickly left after we were dismissed. I completed my last paperwork and turned in my keys. I shook hands and gave hugs to those who would be staying. I called R. With scarcely a backward glance I drove off. My last thought? Would I be too early to the gym today?

3 Comments:

  • OMG! I wish I read the past 4 posts. I'm sooooo sorry to hear that. I'm sure there's so much better out there. We IT people are survivors ... and not to mention, in demand. Wait, you are in IT as I recall, am I right?

    The only good thing about the institution I'm working for is our "bumping rights". As cruel and brutal as it is, I have the right to bump someone who has less seniority than me, and so on and so forth. It's the last resort though. Well, anyway, I wish you the best!

    AND I'M NOT A BOYTOY!! :)

    By Blogger GrooveTheory, at 6:08 PM  

  • My magic 8 ball indicates that it is time to move on and fulfill your true destiny. That, or "all signs point to yes."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:04 AM  

  • I...was too full from my breakfast bagel to eat more than two full platefulls of the last meal.

    You?? Too full?? (Okay, I hear the bitchslap coming.) You'll find something else in no time.

    By Blogger Greg, at 8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who links to me?