Words, Weights, Whatever

Thursday, August 18, 2005

***An excess of fluid***

I write exclusively at a nearby coffeeshop for many years now. Since it is a business, I purchase at least a drink and, more often, a pastry as well before settling down with that day's work.

But I also order a third item: a "vente-sized glass of iced water." As anyone who knows me, I'm like a cactus and can easily go through three to five of these large drinks with nary a pee...p.

I've changed my drinks and pastries over the years (currently it's frappuccinos and danishes) but never the water.

Well, today I ordered my obligatory purchases. I was looking over the rest of the selection to see if I wanted anything additional when the staff member (called "baristas") put the water next to my order.

"Thank--" I began and noticed another barista put an identical venti next to the first. I and the first barista looked at him and smiled.

"Thank--" Then another barista pushed between the two first ones.

"Here you go," she said and put down a third glass. She stopped, looked at the other two, then me.

We burst out laughing.

So at this writing I have two frappuccinos, a pastry, and three venti-sized cups of iced water. I'm halfway through one frap and one glass of water. I've already calculated that the restrooms shouldn't be busy for next couple of hours.

4 Comments:

  • I love the baristas down near my office. I listen to my iPod and just step up, and voila! my hot coffee served right up, without a word. :D

    By Blogger Joe, at 1:40 PM  

  • I guess they know you!

    By Blogger Jean, at 6:18 PM  

  • Well, as grampaw always used to say:


    Urine luck!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:36 AM  

  • It's alternately comforting and disturbing that they know what you want as they see you approaching their store. A few of the places at the food court near my work are like that, as well.

    By Blogger Greg, at 9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who links to me?