Words, Weights, Whatever

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Traffic Headlines

It's both a pleasure and frustration to worry about traffic. I'm not talking about cars but visitors to one's blog.

I never set up one of those counters for Words, Weights, Whatever. Wasn't serious enough those oh so many years ago. I know I could add one now but what would be the point?

However, I do count on comments to get an inkling on how my blog is doing. Still, I don't fret if I don't see a peep for several posts.

But my work is a different matter. I have access, or more correctly, know the people who have the tools, to tell me how the blogs are doing. In a more recent report, the director told me the blog's doing as expected for a brand new blog.

Grrr.

I want ten times that number and I'm only half-joking. Yeah, I know I have unrealistic expectations. What do you expect, though, for an aspiring writer? Reality? Anyway, I use the expectation to drive me further, to figure out what I can do to improve the posts or let folks know of the blog's existence.

I wonder if my fellow writers feel the same way. What say y'all? Do high expectations make you work harder? Or you just say "fudge it" and chill through life?

6 Comments:

  • Not for me. I can't depend on others' input or feedback, for mostly those ubiquitous "others" aren't people I'd necessarily choose as readers, if such choices were up to me. I rely on my intuition to know when I'm hitting the mark or not. It has always steered me right. As for my personal blog...I write it more for myself than for others. But it's always nice when a friend drops in and says hello by leaving a comment. I just don't live for that event.

    Cheers, Christian
    http://mentaldeviant.blogspot.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:20 AM  

  • in the beginning, it's the comments that kept me going. now, it's the fact that i feel like it's my story that i am putting out. for that alone, i keep blogging. if it were for the traffic or just for the comments, i think i would've stopped sooner.

    keep writing, keep promoting. that's really the difference between the popular blogs is that they have the quality writing and the will to promote themselves...

    By Blogger No Milk Please, at 9:37 AM  

  • Christian, that may be too much self-absorption and ego that I don't have before my first cup of coffee :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:09 PM  

  • no milk, you have some of the most entertaining posts I've ever read. each comment on your posts easily represents hundreds who couldn't comment because milk/soda/coffee went up their nose from laughing :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:10 PM  

  • My blog was always for me. Readers and comments are a secondary but nice addition.

    The statcounter helps to show me that people have visited even if the didn't comment. Sometimes I have wanted to delete it because it it becomes more of am addiction than a useful tool.

    Sometimes we all face a post that is interesting to read but we can't or don't want to comment on. But, sometimes we have some input and let you know you're being read. :)

    By Blogger Leon, at 12:20 AM  

  • we like being read. especially with whip cream on top :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who links to me?