Words, Weights, Whatever

Thursday, December 02, 2004

***I remember why I hate car shopping***

Yesterday The Spouse and I checked out a local car dealership. I had four brands of vehicles I wanted to check out (the Camry, Corolla, Prius, and the RAV4.)

A little factoid: you don't apply hard sale sales tactics to Filipinos. I've inherited, much to their chagrin, both my parents' tempers. Mom tends to immediately explode when she's irritated; dad's the boiling volcano. Thankfully The Spouse was there to deflect the salesfolks question as:

  • I'm constantly asked what color did I want my Camry to be even though I said I was just looking.
  • Taken to the most expensive, top-of-the line model.
  • Asked permission to do a credit check to purchase the Camry that night. (I provided no info.)
  • Told there were no used cars on the lot. (Lie.)
  • When I asked about seeing the less expensive mini-SUV RAV4, the salesman, not looking at me, told his manager that I wasn't interested, that the RAV4 was a "grandmother's car." (Not only that, he lied about the horsepower in my face.)
While I know there are folks who not only could easily deal with such folks (and revel in the wheeling and dealing), I'm not one of them. As of this writing, I'm still fuming and have put all Toyota products to the bottom of the pile. There were a couple of silver linings, though, from the experience: I know how to react the next time I go out car shopping and I learned the Camry doesn't haven't the head room. That immediately strikes it off my list.


Image found on the Internet and all rights belong to its owner.


At least the rest of the evening was pleasant. We saw the latest episode of Drawn Together later that night. Interesting. Despite the very un-PC storylines involving mentally and physically handicapped folks and hallucinogenic addictive sweat (don't ask), the episode felt less shocking than the prior ones. Overall, still a good episode.

4 Comments:

  • Sorry to read about the bad service. I had that from a Honda Dealership in Costa mesa. My Dad was with me, and even he was shocked at the pisspoor attitude of the salesman AND his manager.

    By Blogger Greg, at 2:11 PM  

  • Ouch, sorry about the car experience (glad it wasn't at Honda, though a dealership is a dealership unless you're getting a Saturn I guess). The Honda place I've been going to for my last three cars has been pretty laid back, the only exception being not the sales guy but the money guy I end up seeing to sign everything, who last time tried to pressure me into buying an extended warranty. I finally said "It's a Honda, and I drive like 2000 miles a year (literally); it'll last me forever. I DON'T WANT IT" and he got kind of huffy.

    I finally caught Drawn Together for the first time and it was that episode! OMG! I guilty hilarity! So the Elf-guy is gay, right? I can't believe what they get away with, the blatant ripoff os Pikachu (sp?) not the least.

    By Blogger TK, at 9:27 AM  

  • i don't have a car. and everytime i read a blog post on car buying, i get nightmares. are these salespeople human?!

    By Blogger Joe, at 9:16 PM  

  • Dude, post something! :)

    By Blogger SBB, at 6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who links to me?