Words, Weights, Whatever

Monday, August 16, 2004

What to post....


(Image was found on the Internet and all rights belong to their owners.)


For some time now I've been debating the direction of my posts on my blog. One question I had for quite a while was how many posts per day and I've decided to only post once. Reason? People tend to only read the most recent post on a blog. Even I'm guilty of that sometimes. (I normally scroll down a blog until I noticed an entry I don't remember reading.)

But what will be The Post that day? Here are some of my ideas:


  • Daily summary - I discuss what happened that particular day (e.g., today we....)
  • Event - I discussed a specific event of that day (e.g., My friend G. has this problem which is....)
  • Random of the Day - I make a one-line comment about an...interesting...blog found on blog.com (e.g., Proverb of the Day.)
  • Why is it here - A relatively new idea. I chose one or more of the links on my blog and discuss why I picked it (e.g., About 51313 Harbor Street. This is actually the second time I placed this blog among my daily reads. The first time....)
  • Fact about me - Another new idea. I reveal an unknown facet about, well, me (e.g., I've stalked people.)
  • My opinion - A rambling, essay-esque to and fro discussion about a subject I feel strongly about at that time (e.g., They're gorgeous. So why can't they find The One? or Single Folks: the New Pariah?)
  • Pic of the Day - From pics found on the Internet with my commentary:
Example:


(Image was found on the Internet and all rights belong to their owners.)

7 Comments:

  • I am one who writes more than once a day so I tend to look for multiple posts. The pictures can be fun (such as the one today) but would be better if they were yours. Pictures from the net should be linked like text because of bandwidth issues. You could put them and your "Random of the Day" at the bottom of each post.

    The 'why is it here' idea sounds neat.

    As for the personal stuff thats something you'll have to decide. How do you feel about it?

    Anything that keeps a writer writing is good... to a degree. Experiment! Hope this helps.

    By Blogger Leon, at 2:31 AM  

  • Thanks, Leon. The input helps.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:50 AM  

  • Do all of them daily! :) But failing that, definitely do 1, 2, 5, 6, 7. I don't mind the others, but I wish the photos were ones you took of your life. I'm nosy, remember ... :)

    By Blogger SBB, at 7:42 AM  

  • You know, I found out that putting pictures on your posts makes it more appealing to the readers. I have, at one point, debated about what to post in my Blog. But, the more you think about it, the harder it gets. And, I really don't wish to change my style of writing. I may blog about the weather one day, and then, I may blog about the metaphors of life the next. I think most bloggers wants to be insightful in their blogs, but it's too "scripted" for me. Be real. I think Blogs reflects your personality. I like reading your blogs. It's quite amusing.

    By Blogger GrooveTheory, at 7:54 AM  

  • i think depending on what kind of blog you have, that dictates whether a person reads only your latest entry or not. i know that there are a lot of people that check a blog multiple times a day. this is because they expect that the blog will have some new stuff and they can't get their fix.

    so, my point is, if you have a good blog, it doesn't matter if you have multiple posts, people will come and visit you.

    on the other hand, certain types of blogs, which are used as on-line diaries tend to be read only for their most recent entries. this is because the content gets stale right away. what's the point of reading yesterday's post if the person has already moved on?

    this is why commentary (entertainment, political, etc.) tend to have longer shelf lives. you tend to want to read them even if it was posted last week.

    By Blogger No Milk Please, at 8:39 AM  

  • Re: comments contributed by tech, groove, and no:
    Thanks, y'all. Good stuff.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:49 PM  

  • Joel, you've stalked people?!? :)

    I often wonder what the direction of my blog is too, but short of trying to figure it out, I just post.

    Although the once a day post is a good idea, kind of a wrap-up. When I am home, I tend to post more often. Or when I'm bored at work.

    By Blogger Jennifer, at 10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who links to me?